“The only thing that you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.” ― Albert EinsteinCarrollton Public LibraryOne North Folger StreetCarrollton, MO 64633660-542-0183Now on Facebook under Carrollton Public Libraryhttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Carrollton-Public-Library/127287750675022
The Carrollton Public Library's mission is to be the hub of information, education and recreation for the community.
* * * * * *
Let's get your WIGGLES on! Join Ms. Sarah every Tuesday and Thursday at 10 am for early literacy story times, followed by a craft or an activity. C'mon, you know you could use a smile while you WIGGLE!
* * * * * * * * * *The Used Book Sale continues this week in the Library's lower level. Great bargains on great reads! Proceeds to go programming for all ages.
* ** * * * ** *
DID YOU KNOW?? The Carroll County Genealogy Association will be meeting next Tuesday, September 15th at 7 pm in the main library. They meet every other month at the library and would love to hear your family's story! Join us as every meeting is open to the public!
DID YOU KNOW??? The library's ebook consortium, www.molib2go.org now offers NEW STREAMING VIDEO!! How ridiculously cool is that? Your next movie is just a click away!
The Hudson-Bridges Foundation’s 2nd Annual Awareness Event will be held on Saturday, November 7th, at the Carrollton Country Club. This will be a fun-filled evening, with guests trying to solve a crime. This year’s mystery will center on a murder at the Billionaires Club Masquerade Ball. The event is set to begin at 5:00 PM with a social hour. It will then be followed by a fun, interactive, murder mystery and dinner. The mystery will be presented by The Murder Mystery Company, which is based in the Kansas City area.
Tickets will go on sale on Wednesday, July 1st. You may purchase yours at the library, or through any Hudson-Bridges Foundation board member. Please feel free to call any member of the board or the Carrollton Public Library (660-542-0183660-542-0183) with any questions you might have. The foundation board members are: Leslie Kohler, Catherine Miller, Nancy Kaiser, Sue Lightfoot, John Hungerford, Jack Franken, & Mindy Minnick. There will be a limited number of tickets, so purchase yours early. The cost is $75 per person and each includes a full meal, a couple of beverages, and all the fun of the entertainment, along with murder sleuthing.
EVERY HERO HAS A STORY....CARROLLTON FIRE DEPT, CARROLL COUNTY E-911, CARROLL COUNTY V.F.W, CARROLL COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPT, CARROLLTON POLICE DEPT, CARROLL COUNTY AMBULANCE, MU Extension, Pilots, Dentists, Lifeguards AND MANY MORE COMMUNITY HEROES!
WHY SUMMER READING PROGRAMS ARE IMPORTANT!
1. Having parents who role-model reading or own a large book collection has a greater impact on kids' reading frequency than household income. – The Kids and Family Reading Report 4th edition conducted by Harrison Group and Scholastic. 2012.
2. It's estimated that the summer slide accounts for as much as 85% of the reading achievement gap between lower-income students and their middle- and upper-income peers.– Allington, R., and A. McGill-Franzen. Why summer matters in the rich/poor achievement gap. 2009.
3. Teachers typically spend between four to six weeks reteaching material that students have forgotten over the summer.– Alexander, K. L. Entwisle, and L.S. Olson. Lasting consequences of the summer learning gap. April 2007.
4. Third-graders who can't read on grade level are four times less likely to graduate by age 18 than a proficient reader.– Hernandez, D.J. Annie E. Casey Foundation. 2011.
5. INTERACTION!! Between parents/caregivers, library staff, Friends members, volunteers and the community HEROES we celebrate this summer! - Sue Lightfoot, Director, Carrollton Public Library
Every week on Tuesday and Friday at 10 am, the Library hosts story time for early literacy readers and parents/caregivers. Stories, activities, and fun are in store for you all year long!
* * * * * * *